Grilled Flank Steak with Marjoram Salsa Verde
2 pinch, (10 ml) freshly ground
2 tsp(s), (10 ml)
1¼ tsp(s), (6 ml) divided
1 tsp(s), (5 ml)
Uncooked lean flank steak
30 oz, (850 g)
1 clove(s), large, minced
Fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp(s), (30 ml)
1 tbsp(s), (15 ml)
¼ tsp(s), (1 ml)
5 tbsp(s), (75 ml) flat leaf, well chopped (10 large sprigs)
2 tbsp(s), (30 ml) leaves well chopped (6 large sprigs)
Extra virgin olive oil
7 tsp(s), (35 ml) divided
- In a small bowl, mix together pepper, allspice, 5 ml (1 tsp) salt and sugar; sprinkle over both sides of steak, patting it down so it sticks. Place steak on a plate; cover with plastic wrap.
- Combine garlic, lemon zest and juice, remaining 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt, nutmeg, parsley, marjoram and 30 ml (2 Tbsp) oil in a small bowl; let rest, unrefrigerated, to allow flavours to blend.
- Set up a large stovetop grill plate over high heat (or if you don’t have a grill plate, use a cast iron skillet); allow grill to get really hot. Rub remaining 5 ml (1 tsp) oil on steak; place steak on grill and let sear without moving, 3-4 minutes. Flip steak, reduce heat to medium and cook to desired degree of doneness.* Remove steak to a cutting board with tongs; let rest, tented with aluminum foil, for 5 minutes.
- Slice steak thinly against grain; arrange on a warmed serving platter and spoon salsa down middle of steak.
- Serving size: 85 g (3 oz) steak and 9 ml (3/4 Tbsp) salsa