2¾ cup(s), sifted
1 large, beaten
Dark brown sugar
1 cup(s), firmly packed
¾ cup(s), dark
½ cup(s), at room temperature
- In a large bowl, sift together first seven ingredients; set aside. In mixer on medium, beat egg, allspice, brown sugar, molasses and margarine. Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients, a little at a time, mixing after each addition to form a stiff dough.
- Gather dough into 2 equal balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°C (176°F). Lightly grease baking sheet(s) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove 1 ball of dough from refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a 1/3-inch thickness. Cut gingerbread shapes from dough with floured cutters (about 3 inches tall). Decorate as desired with oven-safe decorations.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheet(s). Bake until slightly firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Yields 60 cookies. SmartPoints do not include decorations.