'Fried' Mozzarella Sticks
Olive oil cooking spray
1 spray(s), (5 one second sprays), enough to coat baking sheet and cheese sticks
Whole wheat bread
2 slice(s), torn
Part-skim mozzarella cheese
8 oz, cut into 8 finger-like strips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and 1 teaspoon of oregano; set pan over low heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine bread, remaining teaspoon of oregano and thyme; process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Place crumbs in a shallow bowl. (Tip: Use the ends of the loaf of bread for the bread crumbs since those slices are often uneaten.)
- Coat cheese sticks with honey mustard. Transfer cheese to bread-crumb mixture and turn to coat. Arrange cheese on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce on the side. Yields 2 cheese sticks and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.