Flank Steak Asado with Pimeton Oil
Extra virgin olive oil
4 tsp(s), (20 ml)
½ clove(s), large, finely chopped
¼ tsp(s), (1 ml) sweet Spanish variety (pimenton)
¼ tsp(s), (1 ml) crumbled
⅛ tsp(s), (0.5 ml)
1 tsp(s), (5 ml) divided
⅛ tsp(s), (0.5 ml) freshly ground
¼ tsp(s), (1 ml) freshly ground
Uncooked lean flank steak
12 oz, (340 g)
1 pound(s), (450 g) baby variety, cut in half crosswise
Sweet red pepper(s)
2 medium, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips
2 medium, yellow variety , cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together oil, garlic, paprika, oregano, cumin and 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) each salt and pepper; set aside.
- Season steak with 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt and 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) pepper (optional – season with a little paprika, oregano and cumin as well). Season vegetables with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) pepper. Grill steak, turning once, 12 minutes for medium-rare or longer if desired. Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, until tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board; let rest 5 minutes (use a cutting board with a drip groove, to collect juices, or let rest on a plate).
- Thinly slice steak against grain and arrange steak and vegetables on a serving platter; drizzle with any accumulated steak juices and reserved oil mixture.
- Serving size: 85 g (3 oz) steak and 1/4 of vegetables