Fiddlehead and Bacon Quiche
Frozen pie crust
2 tsp(s), or vegetable oil
Cooked turkey bacon
3 slice(s), diced
½ cup(s), sliced
Uncooked fiddlehead ferns
2 cup(s), or chopped asparagus spears (1-inch pieces of asparagus spears)
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Low-fat Swiss cheese
3 oz, shredded
2 egg white(s)
¼ pinch, ground
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Press pie crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9- inch, removable-bottom tart pan or pie pan. Set aside.
- To make the filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook 4 minutes, until golden brown. Add onion and fiddleheads and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in ricotta, Swiss cheese, milk, egg whites, mustard, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared crust and top with Parmesan cheese. Place tart pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake 35 minutes, until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean and crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.