Fennel and Carrot Gratin with Pecorino, Orange, and Thyme
PersonalPoints™ per serving
1 hr 40 min
1 hr 30 min
If the gratin doesn't get as browned on top as you would like, which is basically the best part of any gratin, you can place it under the broiler for a couple of minutes until it reaches your ideal texture. This dish is impressive-looking and delicious enough to potentially earn a place on your holiday table as a hearty, satisfying side. It features fennel, carrots, fresh thyme and orange zest, and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
4 medium, trimmed
3 tsp(s), chopped
1 tbsp(s), grated
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 11- x 17-inch sheet pan with nonstick spray.
- Slice fennel vertically into 1/3-inch-thick slices (don’t worry if some pieces break apart). Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil; sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and set aside.
- Slice carrots on a diagonal into long 1/2-inch-thick slices; toss with remaining 1 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Arrange fennel and carrots on baking sheet, sprinkle with half of thyme, and roast for 30 minutes, flipping once, halfway through. Remove from oven and garnish with orange zest, remaining thyme, and Pecorino Romano.
- Serving size: 1/6 of gratin