Eggplant and Greek Chicken Casserole
2 medium, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 medium, (about 2 pounds total), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
98% fat free uncooked ground chicken breast
1 cup(s), sliced
2 clove(s), medium, minced
2 tbsp(s), fresh, chopped
⅓ tbsp(s), dried
¼ pinch, ground
Canned diced tomatoes
Canned tomato paste
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Lay eggplant slices on paper towels and cover top with salt. Let stand 20 minutes to draw moisture out.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes more. Add parsley, fines herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute, until herbs and spices are fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Coat surface of same skillet with cooking spray (off heat) and set pan over medium-high heat. Wipe salt from eggplant slices with paper towel and add eggplant to hot skillet. Cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices in bottom of prepared baking pan, slightly overlapping pieces to cover entire surface of pan. Top eggplant with chicken mixture and then top chicken with 1/4 cup of grated topping. Top with remaining eggplant slices and remaining grated topping.
- Bake until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, slice into 6 pieces and serve.