SmartPoints® value per serving
Rich and velvety, this luxurious dessert is worth the careful steps it takes to prepare it.
Fat free evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small, heavy-bottom saucepan, mix 1/3 cup sugar with water. Cook over medium-high heat until golden brown to make caramel. Quickly pour into bottoms of 4 small ramekins.
- In a saucepan, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg whites and vanilla together. Very gradually stir hot milk into egg whites to form custard.
- Pour custard into ramekins. Set ramekins in a shallow baking dish and pour hot water around them, about 1 inch up sides of ramekins.
- Bake until firm and puffy, about 30 minutes. Remove ramekins from water and chill before serving. To serve, run a knife around sides of each ramekin and invert custards onto dessert plates.