Creamy tomato soup with crab
3 medium, sliced
3 clove(s), medium, minced
¼ tsp(s), plus more for sprinkling
56 oz, 2 (28-ounce) whole peeled variety, undrained, tomatoes broken up
Fat free vegetable broth
32 oz, or water
Uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)
1 medium, or russet variety, peeled and cubed
1 pound(s), picked over
2 tbsp(s), chopped fresh
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer onion mixture to 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes with their juice, broth, and potato, stirring well. Cover and cook until potato is tender and flavors are blended, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low.
- Using immersion (stick) blender, puree soup. (Or puree in batches in blender or food processor.) Stir in half-and-half. Cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes on Low.
- Ladle soup evenly into 8 bowls. Top evenly with crabmeat and sprinkle with chives and black pepper.
- Per serving: 1 1/2 cups soup and about 1/4 cup crabmeat.