SmartPoints® value per serving
6 hr 30 min
Toasting coconut flakes not only intensifies their flavor, but gives them a crunchy texture and a soft brown color. For even toasting, use the oven rather than a skillet, and bake them at 325°F for about 6 minutes, stirring once.
Sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup(s), toasted
Light vanilla ice cream
3 cup(s), (about 1 1/2 pints)
3 oz, chopped
- Line small baking sheet with sheet of wax paper or parchment paper; freeze 1 hour.
- Spread coconut on separate sheet of wax paper or parchment paper.
- Using mini ice-cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop ice cream by scant 1 tablespoonful to form ball; quickly roll in coconut, lightly pressing coconut into ice cream so it adheres. Transfer bonbon to baking sheet in freezer. Repeat with remaining ice cream and coconut, making total of 24 bonbons. Freeze at least 6 hours or up to overnight (if freezing overnight, cover with foil).
- Up to 4 hours before serving, put chocolate in microwavable cup or small bowl and microwave on Medium 1 minute; stir. If chocolate is not melted, return to microwave and repeat, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid scorching. Let cool slightly. Scrape melted chocolate into small zip-close plastic bag; squeeze out air and seal bag.
- Remove bonbons from freezer. Press chocolate into one corner of bag. Snip off tip of bag and drizzle chocolate over bonbons in zigzag pattern. Return bonbons to freezer until chocolate is set. Arrange bonbons on platter or place in mini baking cups. Serve at once.
- Per serving: 1 bonbon
Prep ahead: Once the chocolate drizzle is set, you can transfer the bonbons to an airtight container and place back in the freezer; they’ll keep for up to a month.