Classic sugar cookies
1 cup(s), granulated
Fat free skim milk
⅓ cup(s), coloured (for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place butter and cheese in a large bowl; cream using an electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until batter is pale yellow; beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- Add about 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/3 of milk to cheese mixture; mix batter on low speed until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and cheese mixtures.
- Shape dough into a ball and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Using your palms, press down on plastic wrap to flatten dough into a hamburger shape; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of flour on a flat work surface. Pull off about 1/3 of dough and, using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter, cut cookies out of dough and place on ungreased baking sheets. Roll up dough scraps and add back to dough ball. Pull off another 1/3 of dough and repeat process until all dough is used – recipe will make approximately 45 cookies.
- Sprinkle cookies with coloured sugar and bake until edges just start to turn golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks and cook completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.