Chocolate cherry cupcake bites
Unprepared devil's food cake
18¼ oz, or similar chocolate cake mix
Canned sweet cherries packed in light syrup
16 oz, drained (dark, pitted cherries)
Regular liquid egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 24-hole mini muffin pans with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, make the frosting: Mix together 1 cup of cake mix, 2 tablespoons of apple butter, water and 2 teaspoons of almond extract until smooth; set aside.
- Place drained cherries on a paper towel. Pat cherries dry, place on cutting board and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In a mixer on slow speed, combine remaining cake mix, remaining apple butter, remaining almond extract and egg substitute for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes more; stir in cherries.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with cherry mixture. Bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes. Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely. Frost each cupcake with 1 teaspoon reserved frosting.
- Yields 1 cupcake per serving