Chicken sausages with bean-and-tomato salad
This fresh take on chicken sausages pairs them with a colourful lemon-dressed salad of green beans, lima beans, and cherry tomatoes, all tossed with fresh chives and mint. Adding the lemon zest to the dressing gives it in an intense citrusy aroma. The easiest way to remove the zest from the lemon is to use a zester but if you don’t have one a fine grater will to work too. About one half of lemon will yield about ½ teaspoon of lemon zest—just be sure to zest your lemon before you juice it. For variation, try cannellini beans or chickpeas in the place of the lima beans.
Uncooked chicken sausage(s)
1 pound(s), Italian or other variety
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
½ pound(s), halved
Uncooked string beans
½ pound(s), trimmed and halved crosswise
Extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp(s), grated
Fresh lemon juice
1 clove(s), large, crushed through a press
¼ tsp(s), or to taste
Canned lima beans
15 oz, or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp(s), fresh, chopped
Fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp(s), chopped
- Preheat broiler. Line broiler rack with foil; spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Arrange sausages on foil in single layer. Broil 4 inches from heat until sausages are browned on top, about 8 minutes. Turn and broil 4 minutes longer. Add tomatoes to broiler rack. Return to broiler and broil until sausages are cooked through and tomatoes begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring medium saucepan filled three-quarters full with lightly salted water to boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Add green beans, lima beans, tomatoes, chives, and mint and toss to combine. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices and serve with salad.
- Serving size: 1/4 of sausage and 1 cup salad