Chicken Sausage Skillet
TruLOCAL Salt and Pepper Chicken Sausage
Beans, kidney, canned, no salt added
28 oz, white, strained and rinsed
1 medium, white, diced
4 clove(s), medium, minced
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), medium, red, sliced
½ tsp(s), crushed
Chili seasoning mix
½ tsp(s), crushed (optional)
4 medium, diced
Canned unsalted tomato paste
1 leaf/leaves, to serve
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add sausages and cook until golden on all sides. Once cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil along with onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add oregano, thyme, fennel and chillies and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper and diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until peppers are tender.
- Once vegetables are tender, stir in tomato paste and water until well combined. (Add additional water as needed.)
- Slice sausages into ¼ or ½ inch pieces and add to the sauce to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add beans to the skillet and gently stir in to combine. Allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce has thickened, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil to serve.