Chicken sausage, mushroom and pasta casserole
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
12 oz, rotini suggested (about 3 cups)
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp(s), Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested
Cooked chicken sausage(s)
8 oz, Italian-variety, thinly sliced
1 medium, thinly sliced
1 medium, chopped
1 pound(s), sliced
Store bought marinara sauce
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Remove breadcrumbs to a small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano and set aside.
- In same skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate and drain any fat from skillet.
- Add pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and water to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add vegetables, sausage and marinara sauce to pot with drained pasta; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella and reserved breadcrumbs. Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 25 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving (about 1 1/2 cups).