Chicken with Pasta & Puttanesca Sauce
Uncooked whole wheat penne
1 large egg(s)
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
20 oz, (4 5-oz. breasts), each thinly sliced into cutlets
6 medium, finely chopped
½ small, finely chopped
8 large, pitted, Sicilian variety, chopped
3 item(s), fillets, finely chopped
2 clove(s), large, finely chopped
1½ tbsp(s), drained
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, spread the breadcrumbs onto a sheet of wax paper. In a large shallow bowl or pie plate, lightly beat the egg. Dip the chicken into the egg, then coat on both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly so the crumbs adhere.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, olives, anchovies, garlic, capers, vinegar, and crushed red pepper to the pan. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve with the pasta.
- Serving size: 1 cutlet, ½ cup sauce, and ½ cup pasta