Chicken nicoise salad with tarragon-olive viniagrette
Nicoise salad is traditionally made with tuna, but we switched it up and use chicken instead. Perfect for a summer picnic, this salad shows off potatoes, green beans, lettuces, and fresh tarragon at their peak and is hearty enough to enjoy as a complete meal. Here, we’ve used kalamata olives instead of the French Niçoise variety since kalamatas are easier to find at most supermarkets. Grilled salmon or shrimp would also be delicious in this dish. To pack it up for an al fresco lunch, store the dressing in a separate container and drizzle it on just before serving.
½ tsp(s), plus more for salting water
Uncooked whole white potato(es)
8 oz, fingerling variety
Uncooked string beans
8 oz, thin, trimmed
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
20 oz, 4 (5-oz breasts)
White wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
8 large, Kalamata variety, pitted and minced
1 small, minced
2 tsp(s), chopped
4 medium, cut into wedges
Hard boiled egg(s)
2 large egg(s), quartered
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 small, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 8 minutes, adding green beans during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool. Set aside.
- Spray a ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat until hot.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1⁄2 tsp salt and 1⁄4 tsp pepper; add to grill pan. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into slices.
- Meanwhile, to make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, 1⁄8 tsp black pepper, and 1 1⁄2 tbsp water. Stir in olives, shallot, and tarragon. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, green beans, and 2 tbsp vinaigrette until coated.
- Among 4 plates, evenly divide mixed greens. Arrange potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, eggs, and onion on greens. Top with chicken slices. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
- Serving size: about 3 cups salad, 1 chicken breast, and 2 tbsp vinaigrette