Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad
Fresh lemon juice
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
½ medium, very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 cup(s), chopped, thinly sliced
1 cup(s), quartered
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
1 pound(s), four 4 oz pieces
3 egg white(s), large
¼ cup(s), fresh, minced
½ oz, grated (about 1/4 cup)
Dried plain breadcrumbs
4 spray(s), divided
1 tbsp(s), divided
Fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp(s), or to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together first four ingredients; set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, fennel, onion and tomatoes; set aside.
- Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper; pound until 80 mm (⅓ in) thick. Rub salt and pepper into both sides of chicken.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, parsley and cheese.
- Dip a piece of chicken into flour; turn to coat and shake off any excess. Next, dip chicken into egg mixture; turn to coat. Lastly, dip chicken into bread crumbs, shaking off any excess ingredients. (You want to coat the chicken very lightly, not cover it with a heavy crust.) Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Melt half of butter in skillet (do not allow it to burn); add two pieces of chicken. Cook chicken until coating is golden, flipping once, about 7 minutes; remove to a paper towel and cover loosely to keep warm. Off heat, recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Melt remaining butter in skillet; cook remaining pieces of chicken.
- Toss salad with dressing. Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice and serve topped with salad. Yields 1 piece of chicken and 500 ml (2 cups) of loosely packed salad per serving.