Chicken with celery root and apple
Uncooked bone in skinless chicken thigh
24 oz, 4(6-ounce) thighs
¾ tsp(s), divided
3 clove(s), medium, minced
Canned chicken broth
1½ pound(s), 1 (1 1/2-pound celery root), trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 medium, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
Unsweetened apple juice
½ cup(s), or cider
2 tsp(s), or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 medium, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
¼ cup(s), chopped flat-leaf leaves
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. In a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker, combine celery root, carrots, apple juice, thyme, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir in onion mixture and place chicken on top in single layer. Cover and cook until chicken and vegetables are fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours on High or 5 to 6 hours on Low.
- Transfer chicken to plate and cover to keep warm. Stir apple and mustard into slow cooker. Cover and cook until mixture simmers, about 30 minutes on High. Return chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Stir in parsley.
- Per serving: 1 chicken thigh with 1 cup vegetables and 1/3 cup sauce