Instant Pot Cauliflower, Potato, & Bacon Bisque
With its velvety consistency, this Instant Pot soup tastes way richer than it really is. Yukon Gold potato adds creamy texture and a slightly buttery note, while cauliflower helps to thicken the soup. From there, reduced-fat milk brings it into silky bisque territory. If you don’t have an immersion blender, just use a standard blender and purée in batches.
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ cup(s), divided
1 medium, chopped
½ head(s), medium, cored and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
Uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)
1 medium, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
2 stalk(s), medium, sliced
1 tbsp(s), or 1 tsp dried thyme, plus more for garnish (optional)
¼ tsp(s), plus more for garnish (optional)
2% reduced fat milk
50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
¾ cup(s), shredded, (3 ounces), shredded, divided
Cooked turkey bacon
3 slice(s), cooked and cut or torn into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- Press Sauté on a 6-L (6-qt) Instant Pot. In a small bowl, whisk 125 ml (½ cup) of the stock and the flour until smooth.
- When Hot is displayed on the Instant Pot, coat the bottom of the pot with cooking spray. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring. Stir in the cauliflower, potato, celery, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Add the stock-flour mixture, milk, and the remaining 250 ml (1 cup) stock to the pot.
- Press Cancel to turn off the pot. Lock the lid, making sure the vent is closed. Press Pressure Cook and select Low Pressure. Set the cooking time for 4 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, press Cancel to turn off the pot. Move the steam release handle to the venting position to release the pressure. Remove the lid.
- Stir 125 ml (½ cup) of the cheese into the soup. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup. Divide the soup among 6 bowls. Sprinkle with the bacon and the remaining 60 ml (¼ cup) cheese. Garnish with more thyme and black pepper (if using).
- Serving size: 310 ml (1¼ cups) soup, 10 ml (2 tsp) cheese, and ½ slice bacon