Carrot and pineapple cake
1 hr 10 min
For a lovely dessert or mid afternoon tea, look no further than our moist and delicious carrot and pineapple cake with a light cream cheese frosting.
Drained canned pineapple chunks in juice
440 gm, crushed
Whole wheat flour
Unpacked brown sugar
1½ medium, grated
2 large egg(s)
Skim (fat-free) milk
Light cream cheese
Part-skim ricotta cheese
⅓ cup(s), smooth
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
1 tsp(s), finely grated, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 22cm round cake pan with oil. Line base and side with parchment paper.
- Drain pineapple through a sieve set over a large bowl. Press pineapple with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Reserve ⅓ cup (80ml) juice.
- Sift flours, mixed spice and baking soda into a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar, carrot and drained pineapple. Whisk eggs, oil, milk and reserved pineapple juice in a jug until combined. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50–55 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Let cake stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Using electric beaters, beat cream cheese, ricotta, icing sugar and zest in a small bowl until smooth. Spread icing over cooled cake and sprinkle with extra zest. Serve.
Store cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Un-iced cake suitable to freeze for up to 2 months.