4 tbsp(s), cold, divided
⅓ cup(s), cold
2 tbsp(s), for rolling out dough
4 large, Granny Smith
Fresh lemon juice
Fat-free caramel topping
- Place oven rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 400ºF. Place cookie sheet in oven on rack.
- Place 1 cup of flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut 3 tablespoons of cold butter into 4 to 5 pieces; work butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork (pieces of butter should resemble small peas). Add buttermilk and work dough until it just starts to come together (do not overwork dough; pieces of butter should still be visible).
- Gather dough together into a ball and wrap well in plastic wrap. Pat dough into a hamburger shape; chill for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 days).
- To roll out dough, dust a large piece of wax paper with flour; set dough in middle of flour. Dust a second piece of wax paper with flour and cover dough, flour-side down. Roll out dough to an 11- or 12-inch circle; place in a 10-inch round cake or tart pan. Work top edge into a decorative scallop. Chill for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 days).
- Peel, core and slice apples into 1/8-inch-thick slices; place in a bowl as you work and sprinkle with lemon juice. Arrange apples slices in pan in concentric circles—like a rose—starting on the outside rim; apple slices should overlap tightly. Sprinkle sugar over tart and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake on top of cookie sheet until apples are tender but not mushy, about 40 to 45 minutes. (If apples get too brown at any point, place a loose piece of aluminum foil over the tart and continue baking.)
- Remove tart from oven to cool. Drizzle caramel over tart, slice into 8 pieces and serve immediately. Yields 1 slice per serving.