Breakfast veggie casseroles
Whole wheat bread
Uncooked red onion(s)
½ medium, diced
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
½ cup(s), red, diced
½ cup(s), diced
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).Lightly spray 4 225-g (8-oz) ramekins or ovenproof bakers with nonstick spray.
- Cut 10-cm (4-inch) circle from each slice of bread and firmly press 1 into bottom of each ramekin; set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften and onion is translucent, 3−5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, remaining 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt, and black peppertogether in medium bowl until frothy; stir in cooked vegetables and 60 ml (¼ cup)cheese blend. Divide mixture evenly among ramekins. Sprinkle each with 15 ml (1 Tbsp) remaining cheese.
- Place ramekins on small baking sheet and bake until knife inserted into centre of each casserole comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 5−10 minutes before serving.