Braciole with Spicy Tomato Sauce
¼ cup(s), Italian-seasoned
¼ cup(s), flat-leaf variety, chopped
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Hard boiled egg
1 large egg(s), coarsely chopped
2 large clove(s), minced
2 tsp(s), divided
Uncooked trimmed top round steak
24 oz, cut into 8 (1/4-inch) slices
24 oz, 1 (24-oz) jar
4 fl oz, (1/2 cup)
- To make filling: In a medium bowl, stir together bread crumbs, parsley, Pecorino Romano, egg, garlic, and 1/2 tsp oil.
- Between two pieces of plastic wrap, place steaks in one layer. With a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top piece of plastic. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp filling onto each steak, leaving a 1/2-inch border, gently pressing so it adheres. From short end, roll steaks up to enclose filling. Tie each at 1-inch intervals with kitchen twine. Sprinkle with salt.
- In a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker, combine arrabbiata sauce and wine.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil. Add beef rolls and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer rolls to slow cooker, spooning sauce over. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 9 hours on Low. Remove twine from rolls. Serve with sauce.
- Per serving: 1 beef roll and scant 1/4 cup sauce