Black Forest Cake
5 large, separated
Packed brown sugar
Unsweetened cocoa powder
60 gm, sifted (2oz), for filling and decoration
Fat free semi soft cheese
Plain lowfat yogurt
3 tsp(s), such as Splenda or Sweet'N Low
80 gm(s), cherry flavoured
15 oz, black, in syrup, pitted and drained
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan oven 160°C / Gas Mark 5. Spray three 7 inch springform pans with low fat cooking spray. Line their bases with circles of wax paper.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together using a hand-held electric whisk until pale, thick and very airy. This will take about 5 minutes. Sift the chocolate powder into the mixture and fold in using a large metal spoon.
- In a grease-free bowl, whisk the whites until stiff. Fold them into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon. Do this carefully so that the air is not lost.
- Share the mixture between the springform pans and level the tops. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed lighlty. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cakes from the tins and peel away the lining paper. Cool completely.
- Beat the soft cheese, yogurt, vanilla and sweetener together. Reserve about three tbsp of this mixture, then spread the rest over the surface of two of the cakes. Dot two tbsp of cherry-flavoured jam over the top of each of these cakes.
- Halve the cherries and reserve 8 for decoration. Sprinkle the rest of them over the two cakes and sandwich together with the remaining cake. Place on a cake plate.
- Sprinkle most of the chocolate powder over the surface of the cake. Put 8 little blobs of the reserved cheese mixture around the edge of the cake, then decorate with the reserved cherries. Sprinkle with chocolate powder, then serve. Keep the cake refrigerated, though let it come to room temperature to enjoy it at its best.