Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew
Uncooked lean beef round
24 oz, bottom-cut, cut into 1-inch cubes, or (1 1/2 pounds)
2 medium, halved and thinly sliced
1 pound(s), or white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 tsp(s), fresh (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
½ tsp(s), freshly ground
2 cup(s), reduced-sodium
12 fl oz, Guinness stout-variety
Uncooked long grain brown rice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a large casserole or oven-safe saucepan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add the meat (working in batches if necessary) and brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Spray again with nonstick spray and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until they release their liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper; cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and beer, stirring until the foam dissipates. Stir the beef back into the stew and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the rice. Cover and bake until the meat and rice are tender, stirring once or twice, about 1 more hour. Yields about 1 cup per serving.