Bean, cheese, and poblano enchiladas
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, chopped
2 clove(s), medium, chopped
Chipotle chili powder
Canned tomato paste
Canned stewed tomatoes
14½ oz, fire-roasted variety
Canned black beans
23¼ oz, 1 1/2 (15 1/2-oz. cans)
2 medium, thinly sliced
Reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 oz, 1 cup shredded, sharp variety
8 item(s), warmed
2 large, chopped
1 medium, seeded and minced
Uncooked red onion(s)
¼ cup(s), chopped, diced
¼ cup(s), chopped
Fresh lime juice
2 item(s), cut into 8 wedges
- To make enchiladas, preheat broiler. Line large baking sheet with foil and place poblanos and jalapeño on foil. Broil 5 inches from heat, turning frequently with tongs, until skins blister, about 15 minutes. Wrap chiles in foil and let steam about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel blackened skin off chiles. Remove seeds and membranes of chiles and chop, keeping jalapeño and poblanos separated.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, 1/3 cup water, and the salt and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Place beans in medium bowl and partially mash beans. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of sauce and set aside.
- Transfer remaining sauce, chopped jalapeño, half of chopped poblanos, and remaining 1/3 cup water to food processor; puree, adding more water to thin sauce, if needed. Set aside.
- Divide bean mixture, scallions, remaining poblanos, and 3/4 cup cheese evenly among tortillas and roll up jelly-roll style. Place enchiladas, seam-side down, in baking dish. Pour sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake until enchiladas are heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make salsa, stir together all salsa ingredients in medium bowl. Spoon salsa over enchiladas just before serving.
- Serving size: (1 enchilada)