Bananas Foster Crisp
2 medium, ripe but firm, halved lengthwise for large dish, or sliced into 1-inch rounds for ramekins
Uncooked rolled oats
5 tbsp(s), old-fashioned
Dark brown sugar
Packed brown sugar
½ tsp(s), divided
4 tbsp(s), softened, divided
1 tbsp(s), dark variety
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-oz gratin dish or four 4-oz ramekins with nonstick spray. If using gratin dish, place bananas in dish, cut-side up. If using ramekins, divide sliced bananas among ramekins. Place ramekins on small rimmed baking sheet.
- In spice mill, blender, or food processor, grind oats into coarsely ground flour. In small bowl, combine ground oats, 1 tsp sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Add 1 tbsp butter. Using your fingertips, smear butter into dry ingredients until topping is moist and crumbly.
- In small saucepan, melt remaining 3 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar and cook, stirring to dissolve, until sugar is bubbly and starts to caramelize or instant-read thermometer registers 240°F, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in rum, vanilla, and remaining 1⁄4 tsp salt and cook for 1 minute. Carefully pour hot syrup evenly over bananas. Sprinkle topping over bananas.
- Bake bananas until topping is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling around edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serving size: one 4-oz ramekin