Baked Potato Soup
1 bulb(s), large, slice 1/4-inch off top
3 pound(s), 6 large baking potatoes, rinsed, pierced with a fork
Uncooked turkey bacon
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ tbsp(s), fresh, chopped
¼ pinch, freshly ground
Light sour cream
Low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
6 tbsp(s), sliced
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap entire garlic bulb tightly in foil; place garlic and potatoes in oven. (You do not need to put them on a pan - they can go right on an oven rack).
- Bake garlic until soft when squeezed, about 45 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Continue baking potatoes until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes longer; let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain off any fat; chop bacon.
- Unwrap garlic and squeeze pulp from bulb with hands into a large saucepan. Peel potatoes and add to saucepan; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; place saucepan over medium heat and cook until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon 1 1/3 cups of soup into each of 6 soup bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 rounded tablespoon of bacon and 1 tablespoon of scallions. Grind fresh pepper over top if desired.