Asparagus, bacon and cheese strata
2 tsp(s), or vegetable oil
Uncooked turkey bacon
4 slice(s), diced
½ cup(s), diced
2 cup(s), fresh, or frozen and thawed, cut into 1-inch pieces
Reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
5 egg white(s), large
Fat free skim milk
¼ tsp(s), freshly ground
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp(s), divided
Low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup(s), about 125g (4 oz )
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 15ml (1 Tbsp) of Parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining 15ml (1 Tbsp) of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.
- Yields 1 piece per serving.