Make healthy eating simple with SmartPoints - one number tells you the value of what you’re eating!
SmartPoints is a simple counting system that uses recent nutritional science and it’s really easy to use. It nudges you toward nutritious, healthier foods so that you eat better, feel better, have more energy, and lose weight. Now that’s what we call smart.
Here’s How it works:
Every food and drink has a SmartPoints value: one easy-to-use number that’s based on four components: calories, saturated fat, sugar, and protein.
- Calories establish the baseline of how many SmartPoints values the food is worth.
- Saturated fat and sugar increase the SmartPoints value.
- Protein lowers the SmartPoints value.
You get a daily SmartPoints Target plus Weekly SmartPoints. Here’s how you’ll work them.
- Your daily SmartPoints Target is determined by your age, height, weight, and gender. It’s calculated to ensure that you get sufficient energy and nutrients throughout the day.
- Your daily SmartPoints reset, so you get a fresh batch every day.
- If you go over your daily SmartPoints Target, that’s OK! Your Weekly SmartPoints can be used as a cushion if you need them.
- Your Weekly SmartPoints reset (you guessed it!) every week. They don’t roll over so it’s use ‘em or lose ‘em.
- Use them however you like: for special occasions, a second helping, dining out—it’s all about making the plan work for you!
Rollovers give you the flexibility to use fewer SmartPoints one day and roll over up to 4 unused SmartPoints into your weeklies for a day when you need them.
Say you have 23 daily SmartPoints and you spend 19. We'll automatically roll over those extra 4 into your weeklies. You can use them however you’d like: for special occasions, a second helping, a glass of wine, whatever.
Don't want the rollovers? You can opt out in Settings.
zero Points® foods
Foods designated as zero Points foods were chosen because they help form the foundation for a healthy eating pattern. They are also much less likely to be overeaten than other foods (it’s harder to eat six chicken breasts than six cookies). They include:
- Skinless chicken breast
- Skinless turkey breast
- Shellfish (shrimp, lobster, oysters, mussels)
- Eggs (including the yolks!)
- Beans and lentils
- Vegetables (including corn and peas!)
- Nonfat plain yogourt