|Prep Time: 0:20||Cook Time: 0:20||Serves: 6|
This twist on Huevos Rancheros is ultrasatisfying.A squeeze of fresh lime juice just before servingadds wonderful brightness to the dish.
- 2 tsp olive oil (10 ml)
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and diced
- 2 cup(s) canned black beans (850 g), rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup(s) water (60 ml)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice (10 ml)
- 1 clove(s), medium sized garlic clove(s), minced
- 1⁄2 tsp table salt (2 ml)
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin (2 ml)
- 6 large egg(s)
- 2 cup(s) grape tomatoes (500 ml), chopped
- 3 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 1⁄4 cup(s)shredded cheddar cheese (60 ml), sharp variety
- 1⁄4 cup(s) cilantro (60 ml), chopped
- 1 medium fresh lime(s), cut into 6 wedges
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until soft, 7-10 minutes. Add beans, water, lime juice, garlic, salt and cumin; stir and heat through. Remove skillet from heat; lightly mash beans and cover to keep warm.
- Fry eggs in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Serve eggs over bean mixture, topped with tomatoes, scallions, cheese and cilantro; serve with lime wedges when serving.
- Serving size: 1 egg, 125 ml (1/2 cup) bean mixture and 75 ml (1/3 cup) tomato mixture
Spice this up with a dash of hot sauce. Be careful not to touch face with hands after prepping jalapeno.