Recipe: Freekeh Salad with Chicken, Peaches, and Tarragon
|Prep Time: 0:15||Cook Time: 0:25||Serves: 6|
A perfect salad to pack for a picnic, nutty freekeh pairs beautifully with sweet summer peaches and chicken. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- 3⁄4 cup(s) uncooked freekeh
- 1 1⁄4 cup(s) water
- 1 1⁄4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 4 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cup(s), chopped cooked skinless boneless chicken breast(s)
- 2 large peach(es), diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 3 medium uncooked scallion(s), minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
- In a small saucepan, combine freekeh, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and freekeh is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon into a serving bowl; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- Add chicken, peaches, pepper, scallions and tarragon to cooled freekeh; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
Yields about 1 cup per serving
If you can’t find ripe peaches, try halved seedless green grapes instead.