Quinoa and Apple Breakfast Cereal
|Prep Time: 0:10||Cook Time: 0:25||Serves: 6|
A delicious protein-packed cereal that also makes a sweet side dish – great with raisins, crystallized ginger, sautéed pear, nuts and dried berries, too.*
- 1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp salted butter, divided
- 1 medium fresh apple(s), chopped or diced
- 2 cup(s) water, cold
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- Soak quinoa in a bowl of water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. When skillet is hot, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter until it just starts to sizzle. Add apples and cook, turning occasionally, until apples are soft and begin to caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes depending on personal taste; set aside.
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and 2 cups of cold water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover pan tightly and allow quinoa to simmer for 10 minutes. When quinoa is cooked (a little "tail" will appear on each grain), remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter, cinnamon, sugar and milk; stir to combine and fold in apples. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.
*Could affect SmartPoints value. This recipe reheats well in the microwave.