- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 Tbsp smoky barbecue sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced
- For topping: diced avocado and/or Greek yogurt/sour cream
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and cinnamon. Mix well. Add broth, tomatoes and their liquid, barbecue sauce, salt and pepper/ Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the lentils and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree about half the soup, using quick pulses, so it’s a bit lumpy, but appears thicker (see photo). Stir in cilantro. Serve with diced avocado and/or Greek yogurt/sour cream.
Yield: about 7 cups
Serving size: 1 cup