Prep Time: 18 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Moderate | SmartPoints: 1
For maximum flavour, we roasted the eggplant and garlic in this recipe. Serve as a salad or spread on warm pita wedges.
- 1 bulb(s) garlic clove(s), a whole very small head
- 2 1⁄2 pound(s) uncooked eggplant(s), about 2 medium
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 3⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp paprika
- 1⁄4 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), sliced, divided
- 1 cup(s) fresh tomato(es), diced, divided
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil (for easy clean-up) or use a nonstick pan.
- Wrap garlic with another piece of aluminum foil. Place garlic and whole eggplants on prepared baking pan. Bake until garlic and eggplant are very tender, about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut eggplants in half and scrape eggplant pulp into a food processor. Squeeze roasted garlic bulb into food processor (softened cloves will slide right out); add remaining ingredients, except scallions and tomato.
- Pulse until coarsely or finely chopped (whichever you prefer). Add 3 tablespoons of scallions; pulse to blend. Scrape eggplant mixture into serving bowl and stir in 3/4 cup of tomato; sprinkle with remaining tomato and scallions. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
This recipe can be made a day in advance. Just let it come to room temperature before serving for the best flavour.