SmartPoints: 5 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Easy
Protein packed quinoa makes a great substitute for bulgar in this lemony tabouli salad. Chickpeas up the fibre and protein for a filling lunch or light dinner.
- 1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa
- 1 3⁄4 cup(s)water
- 1 1⁄2 tsptable salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper
- 15 oz canned garbanzo beans (undrained), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup(s) peeled sliced cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2⁄3 cup(s) uncooked red onion(s), minced
- 1⁄3 cup(s) mint leaves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup(s) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 medium lemon(s), cut into wedges
- Combine quinoa, water, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Place quinoa in a large bowl, fluff with a fork, and let cool. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, remaining 1 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper. Pour over quinoa and toss to combine. Fold in chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mint, and parsley. Serve with a lemon wedge.
If this salad is made ahead it tends to absorb the dressing. Toss with additional lemon juice, salt and pepper to refresh it before serving.