SmartPoints: 10 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 48 min | Serves: 9 | Difficulty: Moderate
Here’s a stick-to-your-ribs version of macaroni and cheese that uses four different cheeses for maximum flavor. It’s a hearty serving—well worth the indulgence.
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1⁄8 tsp table salt, or to taste (for cooking pasta)
- 12 oz uncooked macaroni
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup(s) blue cheese, crumbled
- 5 oz cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (extra-sharp suggested)
- 3 oz low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 3⁄4 tsp table salt, to taste
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely grated (Parmigiano Reggiano suggested)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook macaroni in salted water as directed on package; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly; cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk to thoroughly incorporate flour mixture. Stir in onion, paprika and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
- Combine blue cheese with about two-thirds of both types of cheddar cheese in saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in macaroni. Pour half of macaroni mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar cheeses. Pour in remaining macaroni mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into 9 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Spice up this recipe with minced jalapeno or toss in chopped roasted red pepper for color (could affect PointsPlus values).