SmartPoints : 6 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
Our renovated Corn Bread makes the perfect side dish for chili, soups and stews.
- 1 cup(s) uncooked unenriched white cornmeal, yellow
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 14 3⁄4 oz cream style corn, canned
- 1⁄2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 2⁄3 Tbsp corn oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork, then make a well in the centre; set aside.
- Combine creamed corn, buttermilk, egg whites and oil in a medium bowl; mix until blended. Fold mixture into dry ingredients; mix until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely before cutting into 8 squares.