Chicken, Vegetable and Orzo Soup
|Prep Time: 12 min||Cook Time: 18 min||Serves: 8|
This is the perfect soup for leftovers, and the odds are that you already have most of the ingredients to whip it up! A great use for leftover chicken, this soup is made a meal with the addition of orzo. A small, short-cut pasta, resembling a large grain of rice, orzo adds a Mediterranean flair to this soup.
Pops of brightness from the fresh lemon juice and fragrant dill make this a great weeknight dinner that is ready in 30 minutes and only 3 SmartPoints® per serving!
- 8 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or more to taste)
- 4 medium uncooked carrot(s), thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb(s), thinly sliced and then chopped (or to taste)
- 1 cup(s) uncooked orzo
- 2 cup(s) cooked skinless boneless chicken breast(s)
- 1⁄4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp dill, fresh ,chopped, divided (or more to taste)
- In a large soup pot, combine broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add carrots, fennel and orzo; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until orzo and vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; cook until heated through.
- Remove pot from heat; stir in lemon juice and dill. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.