Here’s a lightened up classic. Make this recipe a staple for all your summer gatherings.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 1 clove(s), medium sized garlic clove(s), minced
- 1⁄4 tsp table salt
- 1 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄2 small uncooked red onion(s), cut into 4 thin slices
- 1⁄2 tsp olive oil
- 1⁄8 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
- 4 item(s) reduced calorie hamburger roll(s)
- 1 small fresh tomato(es), cut into 8 thin slices
- Preheat grill to medium-hot heat.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine beef, garlic, salt and pepper; form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place on grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes on one side; flip and continue cooking until desired degree of doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Sprinkle each burger with 1 tablespoon of cheese; cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of onion with oil. Grill until bottom is lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip onion and sprinkle with oregano; grill for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Lightly toast open-faced buns on grill. Place burgers on buns and top each with onion and tomato slices.
Yields 1 cheeseburger per serving.
*Can also be done in a stovetop grill pan. Cooking time may vary.The secret to a juicy, lean burger is to avoid pressing down on the patty while it's cooking so it retains its juices.