Published December 13, 2016
|Prep Time: 15 min||Cook Time: 10 min||Serves: 6|
Start your day off right with this hearty, savoury, and satisfying twist on a classic. Bruschetta, a traditional Italian antipasto of grilled bread, with garlic, olive oil, and often chopped tomato is a familiar appetizer. Here we use a base of high fibre toast and pile it high with an enhanced scrambled egg topping packed with onions, tomatoes and basil.
This breakfast is sure to fuel your day and keep you satisfied until lunch, at just 3 SmartPoints® per serving. You could even turn this into brunch by serving it with an assortment of other breakfast items, such as fresh fruit and yogurt.
- 6 large egg white(s)
- 3 large egg(s)
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 large fresh tomato(es), beefsteak, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup(s) basil, chopped
- 1⁄8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1⁄8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 6 slice(s) high-fibre bread, toasted and cut diagonally into 4 pieces each
- With a fork, lightly beat egg whites and eggs.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté onion over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 1 minute more.
- Add eggs and scramble until cooked, about 2 minutes. Add half the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Top toast with egg mixture and sprinkle each with remaining basil. Serve immediately.