How to turn your grill into a smoker
Smoke adds intense flavor to food without extra fat or calories. With a handful of wood chips and a sheet of aluminum foil you can turn any grill into a smoker and get fantastic results. Here's how it's done.
Steps to make your grill a smoker
1. Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours, so they’ll release smoke slowly and not burn.
2. Wrap soaked wood chips in foil to form a packet. Poke holes in the packet so the smoke can escape and fill the grill.
3. Set the packet on the hottest part of the grill—directly on the coals of a charcoal grill or on the heating element below the grate of a gas grill. Wait until smoke appears, at least 15 minutes, before placing food on the not-too-hot part of the grill.
4. To maximize the smoke, keep your grill closed.
5. As you perfect your technique, try different wood chips (such as mesquite or hickory) and/or try soaking the wood chips in beer, apple cider, or wine.
Now you can make these delicious recipes...