Vegan creme caramel
SmartPoints® value per serving
⅓ cup(s), (75g)
Silken firm tofu
700 g, silken firm variety
Reduced-fat soy milk
¼ cup(s), (35g), gluten-free variety
Vanilla bean paste
- Place caster sugar in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling pan, for 8-10 minutes or until sugar melts and turns a light-brown caramel. Remove from the heat. Carefully divide caramel between six ¾-cup (180ml) capacity ramekins. Set aside.
- Process tofu, milk, maple syrup, cornflour and vanilla bean paste in a small food processor or blender until completely smooth.
- Transfer tofu mixture to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, whisking continuously, or until thickened. It should be the consistency of a thick yoghurt.
- Remove from heat and divide mixture between ramekins, pouring it over the caramel. Transfer to fridge and chill for 3 hours or until set.
- Briefly dip base of each ramekin into a bowl of boiling hot water before turning out onto serving plates.
The caramel will set firmly in the ramekins and chilling them helps it form a thin, liquid sauce, so it’s best to make these at the start of the day to enjoy for dessert later.