Spaghetti and eggplant bake
3 medium, thinly sliced lengthways
1 medium, chopped finely
1 medium, coarsely grated
3 clove(s), crushed
Extra lean beef mince, raw
Canned diced tomatoes
250 g, spaghetti
Frozen green peas
⅔ cup(s), (80g)
Extra light cheddar cheese
¾ cup(s), grated, (90g)
⅓ cup(s), finely shredded, plus extra leaves to garnish
40 g, ( 2tbs)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Lightly spray eggplant slices with oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side or until tender and golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, carrot, garlic and oregano, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, until just tender, adding peas for the last minute of cooking. Drain. Add pasta and peas to mince mixture and toss to coat. Add cheese and shredded basil and toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 22cm round cake tin with oil. Sprinkle base and side with breadcrumbs, shaking off excess. Arrange about two-thirds of the eggplant slices, slightly overlapping, over base and side of prepared tin. Spoon pasta mixture into eggplant case. Arrange remaining eggplant slices, slightly overlapping, to cover filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and warmed through. Set aside in tin for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with extra basil and cut into wedges to serve.