Roast chicken with stuffing and onion gravy
chicken breast with skin
2 medium, cut from a whole chicken
1 large, cut into wedges
2 clove(s), halved, peeled
500 g, peeled, quartered
chicken stock cube
1 individual, to make 2 cups (500ml) liquid stock
500 g, peeled, cut into 8 pieces
125 g, finely chopped
1 large, extra, finely chopped
2 individual, finely chopped
105 g, (1½ cups) fresh
1 medium, lightly beaten
Oil spread, reduced fat and salt
frozen green peas
180 g, (1½ cups) minted variety
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the legs and thighs from the chicken. Turn the chicken over and cut away half the back section of the chicken from the leg end. (This can be used for stock or soup). Remove the wing tips. Place chicken breast on the bone, skin side up, in a medium non-stick flameproof baking dish. Rub the skin with thyme, oil and salt. Place onion wedges, garlic and potato around the chicken. Pour in half the stock. Place the pumpkin on the prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken and pumpkin on separate shelves in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the bacon, chopped onion and celery, stirring, for 8 minutes or until the bacon is browned and the onion is softened. Add sage and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl and cool slightly. Add the breadcrumbs and egg and season with salt and pepper. Mix well then shape the mixture into 8 balls. When the chicken has been cooking for 30 minutes, place the stuffing balls next to the pumpkin. Lightly spray with oil and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer the cooked chicken, breast side down, to a plate. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Transfer the potatoes to the tray with the pumpkin, leaving the onion and garlic in the dish. Bake vegetables and stuffing balls for a further 10 minutes or until well browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the onion mixture in the baking dish over high heat and cook, stirring, until well browned. Heat the spread in the baking dish until melted. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until well browned, pressing the garlic with the spoon to break it up. Gradually stir in the remaining stock and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Add a little extra water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the peas for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the gravy, stuffing balls, potato, pumpkin and peas.