Rice and pumpkin quiche
800 g, cut into 4cm pieces
1 medium, cut into thick wedges
1 cup(s), (200g)
2 medium, for filling
2 individual, thinly sliced
Baby spinach leaves
Grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
Extra light cheddar cheese
¾ cup(s), grated, (90g), grated
½ cup(s), (125ml)
2 tsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin on prepared tray and bake for 15 minutes. Add onion to tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook rice following packet instructions or until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Lightly spray a 20cm round non-stick flan tin (with removable base) with oil. Place on a baking tray. Combine egg whites, shallots and rice in medium bowl. Using damp fingers, press mixture firmly over base and 2.5cm up the side of tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and firm. Reduce oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave spinach until just tender. Drain. Squeeze out as much excess liquid from spinach as possible. Combine spinach, pumpkin, onion, parmesan and tasty cheese in a large bowl.
- Whisk extra whole eggs, milk and thyme in a medium bowl. Spread pumpkin mixture over rice crust. Pour over egg mixture. Bake for 35–40 minutes or until browned and just set. Serve.