Red velvet mousse
SmartPoints® value per serving
4 hr 30 min
150 g, (3 small), quartered
Light cooking cream
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
85 g, chopped
2 medium, separated
- Steam or microwave beetroot until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and discard skin. Process beetroot in a food processor until almost smooth. Add half the cream and process until smooth. Cool.
- Combine cocoa, 75g chocolate and remaining cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in egg yolks. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add xylitol, beating well until xylitol has dissolved. Gently fold cooled chocolate mixture into egg-white mixture until just combined. Fold in pureed beetroot mixture.
- Spoon mousse into six ¾-cup (185ml) serving dishes. Cover and place in fridge for 4 hours or until firm. Grate remaining chocolate over mousse to serve.
• Xylitol is a natural sweetener extracted from plants and is available from health-food stores. • Add it: 6 x 5g slices almond bread to serve. • Swap it: Cocoa powder for 2 tsp coffee granules.