Quick chicken and date tagine – Algeria
skinless chicken thigh
540 g, (Buy 600 g), fat trimmed
2 medium, sliced
3 clove(s), crushed
2 tsp, grated
3 baby, sliced into 2cm rounds
1 medium, chopped
salt reduced chicken stock
2½ cup(s), (625 ml)
3 medium, thickly sliced
4 individual, quartered lengthways
1 cup(s), (190 g)
¼ cup(s), to serve
1 medium, cut into wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion to pan and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon and saffron. Stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the eggplant, capsicum and 1½ cups of stock. Return chicken to pan. Bring to the boil. Cover. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini, dates and coriander. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining stock to the boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add couscous. Cover. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the stock is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Top chicken and couscous with almonds and extra coriander. Serve with lemon.