Pineapple and date upside down slice
¾ cup(s), (165g), dark
canned pineapple in natural juice, drained
425 g, halved
reduced fat oil spread
vanilla bean paste
¾ cup(s), (110g)
white self-raising flour
½ cup(s), (75g)
bicarbonate of soda
⅔ cup(s), (160ml)
8 individual, seeded, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Sprinkle the base with ¼ cup of sugar and arrange the pineapple on top.
- Use an electric beater to beat the canola spread, remaining sugar and vanilla in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time until combined. Sift the combined flour and bicarbonate of soda over the egg mixture. Add the milk and stir until just combined. Fold through the date.
- Spoon the mixture over the pineapple. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.